Latest current affairs and general knowledge (GK questions)
1. PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi is the sole Indian-origin executive in Fortune’s list of 50 most powerful women in business, which has been topped by General Motors CEO Mary Barra. India-born Nooyi is ranked 2nd on the list, moving up a notch from her third position last year. 59-year-old top executive Nooyi marks her ninth year atop the $66.6 billion snack-and-drink behemoth in a stronger position than she’s been in for a long time. The list also includes IBM CEO Ginni Rometty on the third rank and Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg on the 8th place.
5. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a Hindi networking site, ‘Mooshak’ envisaged on the lines of popular English social media platform Twitter in the 10th World Hindi Conference. This new networking site is targeted at Hindi language buffs. According to the Hindi networking site’s CEO Anurag Gaud the word limit on Twitter is 140, while in ‘Mooshak’ it is 500 words. ‘Mooshak’ can be accessed on smart-phones by downloading it from Google Play Store or visiting its website of the same name. The Madhya Pradesh capital is hosting the 10th World Hindi Conference from September 10 to 12. The three-day meet is being organised by the Ministry of External Affairs in partnership with the Government of Madhya Pradesh.
6. India and Indonesia signed a pact for repatriation of wanted prisoners and cooperation in all criminal matters including gathering evidence. In this regard, Union Ministry of Home Affairs issued an official gazette notification for service or execution of summons or warrant in relation to criminal matters in both countries. Under the agreement, India will execute summons to an accused person or to any person requiring to attend and produce documents or a search-warrant issued by an Indonesian court. While, Indonesia will reciprocate with similar action, if there is any request from any Indian court.
7. Renowned Sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan was conferred with Kerala Goverment’s prestigious music award, ‘Swathi Sangeetha Puraskaram’ for his outstanding contribution to Indian music. The award, instituted in memory of legendary music composer Maharaja Swathi Thirunal, carries a cash prize of Rs. one lakh, citation and a medal, and was presented to the maestro by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
8. Renowned water policy expert Ramaswamy R. Iyer passed away in New Delhi. He was 86. Iyer was known for forming an expert committee on water policy and environmental issues. His last held position was that of an honorary research professor at the Centre for Policy Research. Prior to that, Iyer served as Secretary of Water Resources in the central government as an officer of the Indian Audit and Accounts Service.
9. The Union Cabinet allowed 100% FDI under the automatic route for white label ATM operation. White labeled ATMs are set up by private non-bank companies that own and operate their own brand of ATMs. Till date, foreign investment in White Label ATM Operations (WLAO), was allowed through the government approval route. This required some processing time and projects were delayed. The move to allow 100% FDI under the automatic route for white label ATM operations is expected to promote financial inclusion in the country.